Monday, September 2, 2013

About Ithaca #2

Living in Ithaca has been great so far. We are doing OK being far from our families since we can skype and talk on the phone. We have made a lot of friends and live by lots of kids to play with outside. The neighborhood is great. It is beautiful here! Tons of trees. Mike is liking school so far and seems to be keeping up.

With all of these great things, I have been very surprised that one of the hardest adjustments for me so far has been grocery shopping. I hate it right now. Emphasis on the hate! There are a lot of different grocery stores. Some feel way organic and expensive, some are super weird. {Like paying a quarter to use a cart. Who does that?!} And, then of course there is Walmart and Target, which just aren't typical grocery stores...
Some things are more expensive and some things are less.. I cant figure it out. Grocery shopping is overwhelming. I find myself taking deep breaths and realizing that I am totally spazzing about groceries. Today I found myself buying name brand products just to have something that was familiar. I feel like I am preparing for the end of the world because I am the only person with a cart full of groceries. What does everyone else do? Go to the store everyday?? Also, I feel like the Mom of 19 kids and Counting the way people look at me with my two kids in the cart. It's just a good thing they are perfect angles and never whine. hahahahaha!!!!
As I was walking to my car with my cart full of groceries a lady walking into the store stopped by me a said "O, you reminded me I need to go get my bags out of my car." Translation-- "Thanks for killing the earth and reminding me to get my reusable bags." (:

Thanks goodness for the candy isle, right!

On a seperate note. All of the Halloween candy is out. Not sure what I think about these--

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha we used to pay a quarter to use a shopping cart in Missouri. You got it back when you returned the cart. It was at a store called ALDI's. They had way cheaper groceries than others, just a very limited selection. That would be a good store to find.

    There is nothing wrong with your two darling boys! They are just perfect. Don't worry about it!!!! I made the front page of the "living" section in the Omaha paper once with my 9 kids (O:
    You know who you are and I am so proud of you!!!! Yea for the sheltering of Rexburg. Glad you moved to SLC first!!!!! I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that grocery shopping is that different over there. It sounds like organic and local food heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to ask if the store that you had to pay a quarter for the cart was ALdi"s but I see your mother already asked. If so, that is a good store, it's way cheap, but it takes a while to get used to it, the first time I went I couldn't find anything but after a few times I figured it out and got most of my stuff there and I cut our budget about 30%. We don't have one close by to us now, but thats a great store. You get your quarter back, but you have to bring your own bags because they don't have any. But I'm willing to do that if I get cheaper groceries. Before you know it you will have everything figured out. ANd being away from family is hard, but when we lived in Florida away from everyone it really made our marriage stronger because we relied on each other that much more. And you come that more independent. You will look back at this time and miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried Wegmans? It is a little more expensive but the quality is good, and you just can't beat their sub sandwiches, we have to get one every time we visit my parents! Give Wegmans a chance you won't regret it! Aldi's is pretty good too, not the same as Wegmans, but they are cheap. I'm glad you are adjusting, grocery shopping is one of those quirks you have to figure out when you move, especially from one coast to the other.

    ReplyDelete